7 Days to a Healthier You!
I’ve completely dropped the ball this past month in the smoothie department. The stress of Christmas and a month long virus took everything out of me. During a month when I probably needed smoothies the most, my massive ‘to do’ list ended up getting the best of me.
Even though I’m a little late to the game on this whole new years resolution thing, I want to kick start a smoothie challenge to renew and restore my body and mind. Are you ready for a health reboot?
I want to keep this challenge straight forward. I believe that smoothies should be easy when it comes to clean eating. There are only four simple rules to this challenge, and the last one isn’t a rule, just something that I’ll be following, but I suggest you do it too, so we can each follow along and inspire each other during this challenge…
- Drink one clean eating smoothie, once a day, for 7 days
- Continue to eat your regular meals – just add in a smoothie to the mix as a snack or a meal replacement.
- Try to include a good balance of protein, fruit and/or vegetables and healthy fats in each smoothie. If you can add in a smoothie booster even better!
- Post your smoothie recipe on social media with the hashtag #SmoothieBurstChallenge so we can follow along each day and see what great smoothies you are making.
Pretty easy right?
Here are some tips:
- PREPARE – Make sure you are prepared before you start the challenge. Try to stock your kitchen with a couple smoothie basics like unsweetened almond milk, almond butter, bananas (I peel and freeze mine), chia seeds, frozen berries and some greens. I always aim to have all of the ingredients found on this list stocked in our house, so I have lots of options. You’ll also find some recommended smoothie booster ideas on this list. I try to buy organic ingredients, but I know this isn’t always feasible.
- PORTION – Have a smoothie once a day as a snack or meal replacement. If you are having one as a meal, make sure there is lots of protein added. I like to add avocado, chia seeds, hemp hearts and almond butter as a healthy protein into my smoothies. This will keep you full longer. Tip: If you are having a smoothie add approximately 10 grams of protein and for a meal approximately 30 grams of protein.*
- QUANTITY – Drink at least 2 cups of your smoothie each day. Most of my recipes are 4 cups (which would be 2 servings) so you can do the challenge with your partner OR just make ½ of the recipe if you are following one of my recipes. I find smoothies don’t keep very well. If you have any tips please share!
- RECIPES – My recipes are listed on this website to inspire you, I think they are pretty yummy, but feel free to explore and create your own. Hopefully we can inspire each other.
I’ll be starting the challenge on Monday, January 19 and posting my first smoothie recipe then and I look forward to seeing yours.
Strive for progress not perfection. Some of you have expressed an interest in juicing during this challenge and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. It’s important that we each do what’s best for ourself. Good luck! xo
*I’ll be posting some information this weekend on whole, clean eating protein options to add into our smoothies.